Search This Blog

Pages

Jan 7, 2011

A Way of Reading the Bible

Well, I have been following Professor Grant Horner's Bible reading plan. The plan has ten lists and you are to read at least one chapter from each list. The lists follow the basic categories of the Bible: Pentateuch, History, Wisdom, Prophets, Gospels, Acts, Paul, Non-Paul letters, Psalms and Proverbs. When one list is complete, you start that list over.


I adapted the lists to include the books between the Old and New testaments. My versions of the lists are as follows:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy

Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Tobit, Judith, Esther, 1&2 Maccabees

Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Sirach

Psalms

Proverbs

Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Baruch, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

Acts

Romans, 1&2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Collossians, 1&2 Thessalonians, 1&2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews

James, 1&2 Peter, 1,2,&3 John, Jude, Revelation

I just read through one chapter from each list throughout time. I do make note of any things that stick out to me. My own commentary in the making. Mostly it consists of those times when ideas or phrases are repeated in various passages.

This plan works well with any Bible, the New American Bible and the King James Version. Professor Horner recommends reading the lists in a specific order, different from how the books occur in the Bible. I don't think there is a huge benefit to that process, so I read the chapter from each list and move on to the next list location.

No comments:

Post a Comment