Search This Blog

Pages

Nov 3, 2012

Vote! Migraines and Political Action

A few weeks ago, I received a call from the Marriage Equality folks here in Maine. They wanted to know if I was interested in helping visit folks, reminding them of Tuesday, November 6, 2012, election day and ballot measures. Question one is whether to allow same sex folks to be able to legally marry here in Maine. A yes vote means my partner and I can get married. Well, I really wanted to tell the guy on the line that of course I'd help, just name the date and time, instead I backed out of that opportunity. He offered other options for involvement, and rather than string him along, I leveled with him. "I can't plan that far in advance as my health doesn't allow it. I get migraines. Often. Multiple per week. I'd really like to be able to help with what we are trying to do here, but I just can't." Thankfully, he understood. Today, a nice guy came to our home and reminded me of the vote and the polling place. I got to thinking it was good I hadn't volunteered as I do have a bad migraine today. I wished there was something I could do. Then, the migraine got worse, so I had to deal with that for a while. During lunch, I was talking about the call from a few weeks ago, today's visit from the young man, and bemoaning the migraines. Then, I realized I could do one thing. I have this blog. I can write to all of you, dear readers, and ask that you vote. I would be insanely happy to have you vote as I will, but that's not reality. I just want you to vote. Even if you vote against my ideals in every way, vote. Exercise your American right to vote. My dad gave a large portion of his life and psyche to protect and affirm our rights as Americans and voting is the lynch pin that those rights rest on.. so, get to your polling place next Tuesday and vote!

4 comments:

  1. Migraines can be very debilitating. I get them also, though not as frequently as you. I have had many lost weekends, and missed out on fun activities, or just dragged myself through work or planned activities and tried to make the most of it. Sometimes it gives me a different perspective, being able to function but not 100% myself. Going door-to-door and talking to people can be a positive experience, but it's also draining. We all have limitations on how much we can give of ourselves. At least we are doing something, no matter how small, even just voting makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca, for your kind words! I appreciate getting others perspectives on things too.

      Delete
  2. I was happy to vote "yes" for marriage equality in Maryland and pleased that it passed. So sorry to hear the migraines are still plaguing you :-( not fun!!

    Take care,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen!

    Thank you for voting in favor of marriage equality in your home state. One day my hope is that there will be a wave of marriage equality throughout our land we love! One day!

    Cheers,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete