Search This Blog

Pages

May 10, 2013

North of Hope: Initial Reaction

I received my first selection through the booksneeze.com review program the other week, North of Hop: A Daughter's Arctic Journey. It's about Shannon Huffman Polson's journey through the Alaskan wilderness and the wilderness of her own grief. I have been reading it this morning and on page 39 she finally arrived in the land, despite touching down in a plane there on page one.

She had grown up in Alaska, but life took her far away. Then her father and stepmom were journeying through the Alaskan wilderness when they were attacked and killed by a rouge bear one year prior to when the book starts. Polson has come to Alaska to take the same journey with her adoptive brother and his coworker friend, or maybe more than friend, Sally. Polson is very wrapped in her own grief so there's no hints as to whether her brother and his coworker are more than just friends by the end of the second chapter.

I'm about to start Chapter 3, about a piece of Mozart's so we'll see how that connects with the story. Vienna and Alaska are very different places, so I'm curious to see how she connects the two parts.

*BookSneeze® has provided me with an advanced reading copy for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment