Search This Blog

Pages

Oct 9, 2013

The Field Guide to Fleece, A Review


In The Field Guide to Fleece: 100 Sheep Breeds and How to Use Their Fibers, authors Deborah Robson and Carol Ekarius give in depth reviews of a variety of wools, discussing the amount of crimp, natural area of the breed, breeding changes throughout history, and what the wool is best used for, along with dye effects, fiber diameters and staple lengths, as well as fleece weight and natural colors.

If you are looking to expand your knowledge base in spinning from a variety of sheep, for different effects, this would be a great and handy resource to have with you.  The Kindle version, even in black and white, was easy to read and the pictures were clear.  The book itself is about 7x5 inches for the cover and only about half an inch thick, for over 200 pages, that's a great size, easy to slip into your spinning bag for retreats or spindling in the park and the inevitable questions from passersby as to what type of sheep you are spinning.  Or, maybe that's just me? ;)

The pictures are lovely in this one too!  I love the various backgrounds and seeing the sheep up close and personal.  It was a new experience for me.  I have yet to handle a sheep's fleece, but when I do, I will be sure to look it up in this book.

I gave this book 5/5 stars because I strongly think every spinner should own it at some point in the spinning career.  You should get to know the sheep and wools very well, and this book will take you a long ways down that path.

My copy of this book was provided by the publisher, Storey Publishing, LLC, through the NetGalley Reviewer Program for free.  That said I was under no obligation to give any kind of review, glowing or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment