Search This Blog

Pages

Nov 14, 2010

So, Why do I want to be a Catholic?

To answer that we have to take a time machine ride back about thirty or so years. I was a youngster and went to vacation Bible school with the family from the other end of our building. Though I often got confused about the difference between vocation and vacation ...
Anyways, it was a nice North Carolinian summer morning. We were allowed to go outside and sit on blankets for our lessons. I only remembering memorizing the King James Version of Psalm 100. I still think that the King James is very poetic and great for the Psalms and Proverbs.

That was the beginning of my faith journey. Then I attended various Christian churches with other kids and on post while growing up and moving from state to state. Then, we moved to Colorado Springs where my dad retired from the Army. I got involved in the church up the street from my folks home, Eastborough Church of the Nazarene. I was heavily involved in the Singles Sunday school class, volunteered in the children's ministry, and worked in the nursery during the services. Also, attended the prayer meetings before church and the Wednesday night services and Sunday night services.

During this time I met a medic in the Army from Maine. He was involved in the Navigators and the post chapel. We got married and moved to Maine. After a few years, we had reached a point where we divorced.

In the next year, I rented a room from a practicing Catholic and eventually became roommates with a Catholic woman. Her family has taken me in and kind of adopted me, you could say. We've been roommates for 10 years, or so. And, by being around her family and having the intermittent spiritual discussion, I have learned a lot about Catholicism. It isn't the vague boggey man it was before.

I also feel that Catholicism is the root of the Christian religions present today. Martin Luther didn't mean to start the  Protestant movement, but did mean to bring to light some of the issues within the Catholic family. I feel like I am returning to my roots, and the roots of all Christians, by becoming a Catholic.

2 comments:

  1. I love watching people discover the Church!!!! Welcome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leila. Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to your comment.

    I've made a few changes to the blog, to better reflect the content I'm adding to it.

    The quote by St. Francis reflects so much in so few words, but that's an idea for a post of it's own.

    Thank you, again, for stopping by, Seeker

    ReplyDelete