Search This Blog

Pages

Feb 17, 2011

Think I Shocked A Priest!

Uh oh! It finally happened. I said something I shouldn't have.
I told a priest that I don't really have a problem understanding the Trinity. Should have known better. But, I really don't have a problem with believing in the Trinity and not knowing the exact details of how it happens.

God has always been, always will be, and is everywhere. God just is. And, the Trinity is how God is. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

We humans are linear. We can only describe infinite, limitless, amazing God in finite, limited, boring words. God is not linear. We are linear, or at least we like to believe so. So, we describe linearly something/someone who is nonlinear.

Confused yet? After explaining my view of humans as linear creatures trying to explain a nonlinear God, the priest understood better where I am coming from. But, maybe not, who knows?

1 comment:

  1. If you are interested in reading a fantastical description of this idea, try reading Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time. She describes non linearity in ways we may be able to understand. But, perhaps, not

    If you are more interested in science, then I would like to suggest quantum physics. There will be a blog post about my thoughts on God and physics.

    If you know of other examples, please share them with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete